Updated: Apr 24, 2023
Department: Alumni Association & Relations
Job Opening ID: 49233
Reports To: Associate Vice Chancellor, University Advancement
Working Title: Eexcutive Director, Alumni Relations
Department: Alumni Association & Relations
Bargaining Unit: 99
Payroll Job Code: 000459
Job Location: UCI Campus- Irvine
Percent of Time: 100%
Work Schedule: 8-5, M-F
Employee Class: Career
In 1965, the University of California, Irvine was founded with a mission to catalyze the community and enhance lives through rigorous academics, cutting-edge research, and dedicated public service. A top public university, UCI has become internationally recognized for improving lives through research and discovery, fostering excellence in scholarship and teaching, and engaging and enriching the community. Today, UCI continues to inspire change and pioneer new ideas with the support of its generous partners, alumni and friends. Through the combined efforts of the University Advancement & Alumni relations team, the University is able to share its amazing achievements, build lasting relationships and generate support for important campus programs and initiatives. University Advancement seeks to strengthen contributions in research, education, and service; accelerate the university's place among globally preeminent research universities; and bring together passions, skills, and creativity to further improve people's lives. For more than 50 years, the UCI Alumni Association has prioritized enriching the lives of alumni and engaging them in a lifelong advancement of our university. We have worked hard to become the hub and the home for more than 227,000 alumni in our Anteater family as our alumni base continues to grow – in size, diversity and location. UCIAA is an integral piece to UCI’s brilliant future by realizing the potential held by our alumni. We strive to open doors, generate ideas, support students and elevate UCI with the power of the alumni community and their time, talent and treasure. UCI is making a significant investment in alumni engagement and plan to deliver on its promise.
Under the general direction of the Associate Vice Chancellor, University Advancement the Senior Executive Director, Alumni Relations is responsible for the strategic direction, staffing, and administration of the UCI Alumni Association (UCIAA) and will lead the UCIAA Board of Directors. The incumbent will design and implement engagement and fundraising programs that broaden and sustain the base of annual philanthropic gift support by establishing a seamlessly integrated relationship-based pipeline of UC Irvine’s communities of alumni. The Senior Executive Director, UCIAA serves as the chief alumni relations officer for the campus and serves as the on-campus spokesperson for over 227,000 alumni. The incumbent will play a key role in providing leadership and strategic guidance to the alumni relations/UCIAA pipeline. The Senior Executive Director, UCIAA will define and lead the creation and implementation of goals, strategies, collaborations, and outreach that will meet the University objectives and enable UCI and the UCIAA to grow and further engage its constituent base. The Senior Executive Director, UCIAA will define a culture of philanthropy that supports key institutional priorities and fosters lifelong relationships between UCI and its communities of alumni. The incumbent will play a central role in enhancing the visibility and fundraising capabilities of the institution in order to attract new sources of funding and further advance the institution as a national leader.
*Rachel Ellenport of Isaacson Miller is leading this search. For more information, to submit a nomination, or to apply for this role, please visit: https://www.imsearch.com/open-searches/university-california-irvine/executive-director-alumni-relations
In addition to the salary range listed below, we offer a wealth of benefits to make working at UCI even more rewarding. These benefits may include medical insurance, sick and vacation time, retirement savings plans, and access to a number of discounts and perks. Please utilize the links listed here to learn more about our compensation practices
$112,100.00 - $240,100.00 (annual)
- A minimum of seven years of management experience, with progressive responsibility; five years or more of successfully leading a membership-based organization.
- Seven or more years of successful development or direct marketing experience, or related experience in marketing is required.
- Significant and increasingly responsible experience managing a successful department, ideally in higher education. A solid history of staff and volunteer recruitment, development, training, and mentoring.
- Demonstrated experience cultivating and engaging volunteer leadership
- Demonstrated experience with financial management, forecasting, event planning, and activity coordination.
- Experience working with non-profit boards and 501(c) (3) corporations.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Advanced knowledge of management principles, including personnel and budget administration and skill to motivate, guide and direct subordinate staff. Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of the alumni constituencies and the principles/foundation of alumni relations. Advanced skills to develop and successfully mentor and manage professional staff to implement strategies designed to achieve alumni and external relations outcomes favorable to the best interests of the institution.
- Advanced skills to represent senior campus and / or medical center management and effectively respond to inquiries from alumni and other key constituencies.
- Advanced written, verbal, interpersonal communication and leadership skills, including attentive listening skills and the skill to effectively think quickly and respond appropriately. Advanced and in-depth knowledge of the campus including short and long range strategic plans, vision, goals, objectives, infrastructure, programs, achievements and awards; advanced knowledge of current affairs and issues in higher education
- . Advanced skill in advocating for and representing the institution to its various publics. Advanced knowledge of alumni and other key constituencies and skill in intuiting and addressing external concerns while ensuring appropriate and adequate support for campus concerns and issues.
- Expert strategic planning, analytical, negotiation and political acumen skills.
- Strong leadership qualities, including the ability to provide direction and motivation to others through communication, personal integrity, optimism and high achievement, thereby inspiring confidence and trust.
- Advanced degree
- Knowledge of salesforce CRM Understanding of academic environment or other complex organization Strong data analysis skills with the ability to create data manipulation instructions for IT staff and outside vendors.
Special Conditions Required:
- May be required to drive on occasion in order to perform the routine or essential job responsibilities for the position.
- Must possess a valid California driver license and participate in the DMV Pull Notice Program.
- May be required to travel domestically or internationally.
Conditions of Employment:
The University of California, Irvine (UCI) seeks to provide a safe and healthy environment for the entire UCI community. As part of this commitment, all applicants who accept an offer of employment must comply with the following conditions of employment:
Background Check and Live Scan
Legal Right to work in the United States
Smoking and Tobacco Policy
Drug Free Environment
The following additional conditions may apply, some of which are dependent upon business unit or job specific requirements.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy
We are committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce along with honoring unique experiences, perspectives, and identities. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable, and welcoming.
UCI provides reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities upon request. For more information, please contact Human Resources at (949) 824-0500 or [email protected]