This job posting is no longer active.
Updated: Apr 20, 2023
Department: OIT Enterprise Infra Rchg/Core
Job Opening ID: 49615
Reports To: OIT Enterprise Manager
Working Title: Linux Systems Administrator II
Department: OIT Enterprise Infra Rchg/Core
Bargaining Unit: TX (Technical Employees) Unit
Payroll Job Code: 007303
Job Location: May be eligible for hybrid/remote work
Percent of Time: 100%
Work Schedule: 10-7, M-F
Employee Class: Career
*Please note that this position is in process of being accreted in the TX (Technical Employees) union*
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) provides enterprise class services to the staff, faculty, and students of UC Irvine. The Enterprise Unix Services (EUS) team within OIT supports critical campus services that use the Linux operating system and associated open source and custom-built applications.
Under supervision, provide support for Unix based operating systems and associated open-source software. Create and maintain Ansible automation files used to configure systems and services. Develop and maintain shell scripts and programs used to perform service administration tasks. Manage Incident, Request, Problem, Change and Project tasks using the ServiceNow ITSM platform. Fulfill standard service requests within specified SLA targets. This position is an exciting opportunity for a talented individual who is passionate about working in a modern, mission-critical information technology environment. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated to master the tools and processes required to support one of the Nation’s top ranked research universities. This position will provide operational support for on-premise and cloud servers utilizing Unix based operating systems and open-source software. OIT staff members are responsible for providing the highest degree of support to the campus community through the implementation and deployment of services.
$64,400.00 - $114,200.00
- One (1) to three (3) years of experience with BA/BS OR one (1) year with MA/MS OR an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of individuals utilizing empathy, tact, diplomacy, integrative negotiating skills, appropriate use of language, and follow-up.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude and contribute both as an individual and a team member to achieve the goals of the department, division and team.
- Ability to isolate problems, identify sources of help, and work with customers, vendors and teammates to develop appropriate resolutions.
- Experience with the use and administration of Unix based operating systems and their associated software and applications.
- Experience with installing, configuring and deploying open source packages or vendor software such as Apache HTTP server, MySQL, Wordpress and Drupal.
- Knowledge of and experience with programming languages such as Python, Go, PHP, Perl and Unix Shell scripting.
- Knowledge of project management principles and practices.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Experience with configuration automation tools such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef. Knowledge of Amazon AWS and its available infrastructure services.
- Knowledge of VMWare virtualization and VMWare vCenter console.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows Desktop and Server. Knowledge of ITIL best practices and framework.
- Experience with WIKI collaborative content management systems such as Atlassian Confluence.
- Experience with ServiceNow IT service management platform.
- Experience using Source Code Revision Control Systems such as Git and Subversion
Special Conditions Required:
- Must pass a background check.
- Ability to work a specified schedule of 10:00am to 7:00pm with occasional overtime for scheduled changes during off-hours.
- Ability to participate in Operations on-call rotation.
Final candidate subject to background check. As a federal contractor, UC Irvine is required to use E-Verify to confirm the work status of individuals assigned to perform substantial work under certain federal contracts/subcontracts.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy
UCI provides reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities upon request. For more information, please contact Human Resources at (949) 824-0500.