Updated: Mar 23, 2023
Department: Counseling Center
Job Opening ID: 50811
Working Title: Psychologist - Black/African American/African Diaspora Emphasis
Department: Counseling Center
Bargaining Unit: HX
Payroll Job Code: 009558
Job Location: UCI Campus- Irvine
Percent of Time: 100%
Work Schedule: 8-5 M-F
Employee Class: Career
The UCI Counseling Center is committed to delivering quality services that help students achieve optimal mental health for academic success, personal growth, and increased capacity to cope with the stresses of being a university student. The Counseling Center also provides training and learning opportunities to prepare future leaders in mental health and other service-oriented positions. The vision of the Counseling Center is to elevate the student experience and create pathways to success through a wide range of multiculturally based clinical, outreach, prevention, and training services. Our Values include: Service, Community, Inclusion & Advocacy, and Integrity & Accountability.
The emphasis of this position is on direct services to students as a generalist counseling psychologist. This position also specializes in the services including, but not limited to, working with Black/African American/African Diaspora student populations. Conduct initial assessments, time limited individual, relationship and group psychotherapy; crisis care services; campus crisis response; consultation and outreach in a university counseling center. This position would also serve as the direct liaison to the CBCRR on campus. They would assist in generating programs, workshops, groups, and services targeting the Black/African American/African Diaspora student population. Provide supervision and training within an American Psychological Association (APA) accredited psychology doctoral internship program. Participate in meetings and Center research and evaluation.
In addition to the salary range listed below, we offer a wealth of benefits to make working at UCI even more rewarding. These benefits may include medical insurance, sick and vacation time, retirement savings plans, and access to a number of discounts and perks. Please utilize the links listed here to learn more about our compensation practices
$92,510.26 - $145,896.03 (Annual)
- Experience and interest in working with university students from multicultural backgrounds, specifically Black/African American/African Diaspora.
- Verification of completion of CA continuing education requirements for supervision
- Documentation or attestation of the provision of psychological services for at least ten (10) outpatients or inpatients during the past three (3) years required for initial hire.
- Ph.D. or Psy.D. in Counseling or Clinical Psychology from an APA accredited doctoral program Completion of a psychology internship program.
- Licensed as a psychologist in California (or license-eligible in California). Must be licensed as a psychologist in another US state or territory, or equivalent jurisdiction, if not in possession of a current CA license by start date.
- Licensed as a psychologist in California (or license-eligible in California). Must be licensed as a psychologist in another US state or territory, or equivalent jurisdiction, if not in possession of a current CA license by start date. Ph.D. or Psy.D. in Counseling or Clinical Psychology from an APA accredited doctoral program.
- Completion of a psychology internship program.
- General knowledge of psychological assessment.
- Knowledge of Federal and California laws governing the practice of psychology and privacy practices in post-secondary educational institutions.
- Extensive consultation and outreach experience, program development and evaluation including training faculty, staff and students.
- Experience in group psychotherapy.
- Training and experience in time limited psychotherapy, crisis response, substance/alcohol problems.
- Experience with electronic medical record keeping and documentation. Ability to collaborate with the Campus Community consisting of Faculty, Staff, and Students.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to create and maintain effective working relationships with administrators and a diverse range of constituents, including faculty and staff. Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion, sound judgement, and maintain strict confidentiality in the performance of all duties at all times.
- Verification of completion of CA continuing education requirements for supervision Documentation or attestation of the provision of psychological services for at least ten (10) outpatients or inpatients during the past three (3) years required for initial hire.
- Three post-licensure years of clinical/counseling experience in the field of psychology.
- Completion of an APA accredited Internship Program Supervision experience with psychology doctoral interns, preferably in an APA accredited program.
- Interest in the application and integration of social justice in counseling center work.
- Experience in program coordination Special training, interest and/or experience including but not limited to working with Black/African American/African Diaspora Student populations.
Special Conditions Required:
This position's schedule is generally M-F during traditional work hours. However, weekends or non-traditional work hours may be required for special projects, at busy times of the year, or when strict deadlines must be met. Hiring is contingent upon verification of licensure, successful completion of credentialing background check, and successful completion of privileging process.
Conditions of Employment:
The University of California, Irvine (UCI) seeks to provide a safe and healthy environment for the entire UCI community. As part of this commitment, all applicants who accept an offer of employment must comply with the following conditions of employment:
Background Check and Live Scan
Legal Right to work in the United States
Smoking and Tobacco Policy
Drug Free Environment
The following additional conditions may apply, some of which are dependent upon business unit or job specific requirements.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy
We are committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce along with honoring unique experiences, perspectives, and identities. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable, and welcoming.
UCI provides reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities upon request. For more information, please contact Human Resources at (949) 824-0500 or [email protected]