Updated: Apr 19, 2023
Department: Chief HR Officer/VC-HR
Job Opening ID: 51210
Reports To: Chief Human Resources Officer/Vice Chancellor - Human Resources
Working Title: Senior Director of Employee Engagement
Department: Chief HR Officer/VC-HR
Bargaining Unit: 99
Payroll Job Code: 000628
Job Location: UCI Campus- Irvine
Percent of Time: 100%
Work Schedule: 8-5, M-F
Employee Class: Career
The UCI Human Resources (HR) enterprise is comprised of three unique business units: Medical Center, Health Sciences, and Main Campus. UCI HR’s vision is to empower people to drive a culture of innovation, learning, and service that requires us to enable the success of individuals within the UCI community and those who aspire to join. The HR enterprise consists of the Partnership for Strategy and Innovation (Partnership), People Services, Health HR, Campus HR, and the Office of the Chief HR Officer/Vice-Chancellor. The Partnership serves as a strategic center responsible for planning and implementing strategic initiatives across the entire UCI HR enterprise. People Services is a trusted partner in providing administrative support functions that allow the UCI community to focus on their core functions to accomplish the UCI mission of teaching, research, public service, and patient care. Members of the Partnership and People Services work in close collaboration with all three business units to leverage expertise across the enterprise.
The Senior Director of Employee Engagement is independently responsible for the development and execution of strategic employee engagement programs, initiatives, and events for the UCI enterprise, inclusive of the campus, health sciences, and Health. The incumbent drives and implements a holistic employee experience strategy. The incumbent designs and owns the overall employee engagement strategy, including developing and implementing innovative employee engagement programs. The Senior Director holds responsibility in three main areas: (1) Strategy development and implementation. (2) Research, reporting, and analytics; and (3) Event management. Drives and implements a holistic employee engagement strategy, including survey strategies and facilitating peer-to-peer interactions. Tracks and reports KPI’s, manages service and social rewards programs, and other activities, leads the organization to excellence in employee engagement at UCI. Understands the employees’ perspectives, stays connected with them, and makes them feel like a part of UCI’s success. Fosters healthy employer-employee relationships. Empowers employees through programs and initiatives that drive a culture of empowerment. This role revolves around all the aspects of the employee life cycle. The ability to build strategies to improve the employee experience and work culture and understand the needs of UCI employees is essential. Ensures a successful employee lifecycle experience by focusing on strategy for each of the six stages of the lifecycle: • Attracting • Recruitment • Orientation • Development • Retention • Offboarding. Manages large-scale, highly complex in-person and virtual events with high visibility for the organization. UCI employee events include service awards, recognition awards, and engagement events. Events range from 10 person meetings to 10,000+ person mega-events. Works closely with all levels of the organization, including executive leadership. Leads the work of project and event teams. Establishes and ensures successful, productive, and collaborative partnerships within Human Resources and other units across UCI. Collaborates with and supports HR Partnership leaders and their teams in programs and initiatives that affect employee engagement. Works, consults, and helps across many teams as an enabler with an opportunity to make a large impact. Leads the staff employee engagement program with broad impact across UCI. Independently uses and applies in-depth knowledge and experience in the employee engagement, that impact the UCI enterprise. Operates in a highly visible, politically sensitive, complex and evolving arena. Uses advanced professional concepts and objectives to address and resolve complex program issues. Works on significant, strategic issues and problems requiring political sensitivity, where analysis of circumstances and information requires an in-depth evaluation of factors. Develops and implements new policies or procedures where appropriate.
In addition to the salary range listed below, we offer a wealth of benefits to make working at UCI even more rewarding. These benefits may include medical insurance, sick and vacation time, retirement savings plans, and access to a number of discounts and perks. Please utilize the links listed here to learn more about our compensation practices
$103,100.00 - $211,300.00 (Annual Salary)
- Minimum 8 years of progressive experience in human resources.
- Experience producing events of all sizes, from 10 person meetings to 10,000+ person mega-events.
- Experience providing work direction to teams of five or more people.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Possesses expert analytical skills to provide strategic direction for HR practices and procedures, conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated expert knowledge of organizational policies and procedures; advanced knowledge of employee engagement and understands how work affects other areas in Human Resources and the organization.
- Expert knowledge of concepts, principles and best practices of event planning and public relations, including design, organization, and production of complex events.
- Knowledge and skills to apply event management principles, practices and techniques in support of effective event management, particularly high visibility, high impact, high risk events.
- Expert knowledge of employee engagement surveys and related systems, software, and applications.
- Solid knowledge of human resources management systems (HRMS).
- Solid knowledge of common organizational- or research-specific and other computer application programs, including MS Office suite.
- Highly developed interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to present complex information.
- Demonstrated ability to handle the most difficult or volatile situations/individuals effectively.
- Highly developed analytical, active listening and critical thinking skills. Highly developed analytical, active listening and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain all confidentiality.
- Highly skilled in all levels of project management.
- Proficient in guiding and mentoring less experienced staff.
- SHRM CP/SCP, PHR/SPHR, or related HR certification preferred.
- Proven experience and knowledge in effective contract negotiation and strategies.
Special Conditions Required:
- Supports offices in Orange and Irvine; must be able to reliably report to these different worksites.
Conditions of Employment:
The University of California, Irvine (UCI) seeks to provide a safe and healthy environment for the entire UCI community. As part of this commitment, all applicants who accept an offer of employment must comply with the following conditions of employment:
Background Check and Live Scan
Legal Right to work in the United States
Smoking and Tobacco Policy
Drug Free Environment
The following additional conditions may apply, some of which are dependent upon business unit or job specific requirements.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy
We are committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce along with honoring unique experiences, perspectives, and identities. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable, and welcoming.
UCI provides reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities upon request. For more information, please contact Human Resources at (949) 824-0500 or [email protected]